News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Excitement

Started by Towntalk, March 08, 2013, 09:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I shouldn't be saying this since the Vindicator put bread on my table and cloths on my back for 22 years, but they have a very sad record when it comes to all the grand plans that have come down the pike concerning all the new projects that have been put forward but came to nothing. Front page stories above the fold running for several days each, only to have to come out later with a story of how the project fell through.

Take any new project with a grain of salt until ground has been broken, and even then, wait till the grand opening is announced, and you can see it with your own two eyes.

Youngstownshrimp

I'm all for downtown's prosperity, but be careful, let's not create a bubble.
Among businessmen, many of us feel that $90K for the old Francle Cigar building is exuberance.  The PO in downtown remember is to close, other restaurants DT are in serious trouble.  Remember Frangos buying up the whole town, now he is persona non grata.
Marchonda is investing like mad in DT, since he is from Poland, I am getting a lot of questions about his finances, none of my business, but interesting.  Gatta, I'll place my bet on him.

northside lurker

Yes, it was very unremarkable.  Everything I had was processed, pre-packaged, etc.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Was Dooney's first menu really that bad?

northside lurker

The Legal Arts building (where the Hub was) was bought by Marchionda, but I don't remember if there were any official plans discussed.

BTW, since it was mentioned earlier, I wonder why Dooney's isn't more successful?  Are they having that much trouble making people forget their first menu?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Just talk some time ago, and nothing more about the building. Saw some photos of the building on urbanohio.com forum. Perhaps westsider can fill us in.

Billy Mumphrey

Maybe I have missed this discussion, but will anything anytime soon go into where the old Hub Coffee Shop is? I heard there was a fire and that is why the location is not being used. Seems the perfect spot for a coffee shop being right across the street from the court house.

Towntalk

You've got that right ytowner. In the past, the downtown hotels ... The Tod, the Ohio, and the Voyager all had first class restaurants as part of the hotel. Perhaps such a restaurant could be located in the space once occupied by Key Bank.

Billy, we all wish Jim success in retaining his building as we've said many times before. We also hope that he can get back to actually publishing books again or at least a new series of magazines like "Pig Iron". I'm sure that the folks in the arts community would welcome it, especially the writers and poets among us.

Billy Mumphrey

Word on the street is that Jim will have the money to pay off the lien in full and keep the Pig Iron Press.

ytowner

Naffah looking downtown is big. Perhaps he can open up a 'successful' restaurant on the bottom floor of the Stambaugh hotel once it opens. I know Mike very well and he will be successful down here.

Towntalk

First, I have no gripes against Jim ... so set that aside, and I hope that he can keep his building. I don't think that Mr. Naffah even had plans for the building yet, and given everything else he has plans for in downtown Youngstown, it will allow him and his partners to concentrate on them, especially the hotel project for the Stambaugh Building. That project alone will do more for the downtown area than anything else, and certainly more than Jim has done in all the years that he's been there.

iwasthere

my understanding about pip is that when jv pays off the remaining balance of his tax lien. he regains his property. this will put a monkey wrench into naffah's plans for the pip bldg.