News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"City should offer Amish Eastside land"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, September 06, 2010, 10:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Update, one Amish farmer is soon to make application for acreage in the eastside for tree farming, will the City let him in???

Youngstownshrimp

Back then I was close, but it is not the Amish who will farm the dormant Lands of Youngstown, it is the Veteran.

Google:  Veteran Farmer, Veteran Farming Coalition, Military Veteran Agriculture Liaison USDA, or even Dandelion Farms in Columbiana.

Youngstownshrimp

If you ever visit Holmes county the largest Amish settlement in the nation, you will see prosperity.  Thru the generations, they have built from the dirt, cheese plants, wineries, furniture, farms, restaurants, gift shops, hotels .etc.  They have made their county the top land values in the state.  They practice IMO the libertarian approach to life, very little government.  Infact, while I was talking to the owner(retired Clemson professor) of the Millersburg Glass Museum, he told me a story that when he notified the county that they can apply for a grant on a certain project, the county clammed shut.  Their response to him was that they are not interested in any government handouts!

Youngstown is fortunate to be surrounded by Amish settlements, we can learn from them, just as westside showed us. 

northside lurker

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Why?Town

I'm sure if the Amish wanted to live in or near Youngstown they would already be doing so.

Considering their somewhat docile nature combined with the fact that they don't have telephones I could see them being the target of any number of criminal types that would consider them easy prey.

Youngstownshrimp

I guess the question that needs to be answered here is whether the City is interested in studying an Amish settlement on the abandoned lands of the eastside.  Rey Decarlo has revealed to me that a fund is in place for an overhaul of current City zoning but no one has pulled the trigger for the City to proceed.  For this idea to have vision and bear fruit, WE must seek an answer from the City, how?

AllanY2525

This is probably just a "pipe dream". but perhaps the city could create an area on
the map that could be designated as outside the city limits, ie: Resurrect a portion
of the former "YOUNGSTOWN TOWNSHIP" - and let the Amish live there, outside
the reach of city government - just like Mill Creek Park, which is the last remaining
portion of the township....and has its own governing body

Does Mill Creek Park have a board of trustees or something similar?  I really don't
know on that one (?)

:)

northside lurker

Thanks for the information Ron.

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on September 07, 2010, 09:51:55 PM
There is a HUGE difference between living in an incorporated area and living in an unincorporated area.  There is no such thing as a book of city ordinances in an unincorporated area, and because of the absence of those laws people living in rural areas are more free... by definition.   In areas such as around New Wilmington one would be hard pressed to find a government official roaming around sticking his nose into the private affairs of landowners, but in a city there are scores of government employees, and more people around to call and complain, not to mention more restrictive laws necessitated by the realities of city life.

Rick, since you and your neighbors are free to do what you want with your property, what do you do if you neighbor decides they want open a used mattress collection and incineration business?  Or, more realistically, they start collecting junk cars and allow their property to become a toxic mess from leaking fluids?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Youngstownshrimp

In my ongoing ordeal with the City in relationship to agriculture within the municipality my counsel and myself have uncovered the essence and evolution of the zoning ordnance of Youngstown.  One must remember similar to majority of municipalities in Ohio, zoning ordinances were created mainly to control industrial, commercial and residential growth during the City's evolution.  The question of agriculture was only and issue of concern with encroachment of municipalities into agricultural lands, it was one way.  Today, with the retreat of municipal growth, the pendulum is swinging the other way with urban agriculture being an innovative endeavor, not to mention crops in the middle of the urban markets.  In a nutshell, municipalities were never suppose to regulate what is basically a constitutional right of property owners, and cities never regulated vegetable gardens and livestock as long as a nuisance wasn't committed.  What is rare in Youngstown zoning unlike the majority of municipalities in Ohio, most residential zoning on the eastside has "crop farming" as a permitted use.  Youngstown thru the decades, never really opposed agriculture, they just never had a demand for it.

Rick Rowlands

There is a HUGE difference between living in an incorporated area and living in an unincorporated area.  There is no such thing as a book of city ordinances in an unincorporated area, and because of the absence of those laws people living in rural areas are more free... by definition.   In areas such as around New Wilmington one would be hard pressed to find a government official roaming around sticking his nose into the private affairs of landowners, but in a city there are scores of government employees, and more people around to call and complain, not to mention more restrictive laws necessitated by the realities of city life.

Towntalk

When I say that they lived in self contained communities I'm referring to self governing communities with their own leaders and governing bodies.

Certainly there are Amish that live in non-Almish communities just as there are non Amish that live in Amish communities.

northside lurker

Can you cite where you read that the Amish are exempt from the laws of the land where they live?  They aren't like native Americans who live on reservations.  The only exemption I'm aware of, is schooling.  Besides the income tax, I see no difference between living/working in a rural part of the city, or in a rural part of a township.

I know the examples I posted are exceptions.  But they do happen.  How much land are we talking about on the east side, anyway?  Maybe a small community of Amish would decide to form there?  Or, maybe they wouldn't live there at all; they would just farm the land.  I'm sure they could find an "English" laborer to drive them to and from their east side land.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Westsider your examples are the rare exception and not the rule.

Towntalk

I have to agree with Rick. The Almish live in self contained communities of self government. Youngstown would have to turn the land over to them with the understanding that the new community would be just that, absent any city jurisdiction.