News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

General Electric Plant Closing

Started by Towntalk, January 26, 2013, 12:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on February 01, 2013, 11:59:36 PM
I hope you were joking iwasthere.  Congress only knows what is good for itself and their powerful friends.
me joke about my frds in the halls of congress. i am shocked and surprised that you, rr would think i would bad mouth my national leaders on a social media outlet. ??? ::) :o :-X

Rick Rowlands

I hope you were joking iwasthere.  Congress only knows what is good for itself and their powerful friends.

iwasthere

Quote from: Why?Town on January 27, 2013, 10:11:54 AM
congress banning these bulbs has nothing to do with fair trade agreements.
i fully stand behind congress's decision because they know what is good for usa residents.

Towntalk

Letter to GE CEO from Sherrod Brown

Maryrose Sylvester
CEO
GE Lighting
1975 Noble Rd.
East Cleveland, OH  44112

Dear Ms. Sylvester:

It has come to my attention that General Electric (GE) recently announced its intention to close both the Ohio Lamp plant in Warren, Ohio, and the Ravenna Lamp plant in Ravenna, Ohio.  On behalf of more than 360 Ohio workers, I ask that you reconsider these plans. 

GE has been a leader in the lighting industry for more than a century.  Throughout this time Ohio and its workers have contributed greatly to the company's success.  It is in this spirit that I urge you to carefully consider alternatives to closing both the Warren and Ravenna facilities. Instead, I urge you to seek ways to bring new investment and production into these plants.

Recently, GE's reshoring initiatives have made headlines because of the company's decisions to bring some of its manufacturing back to the United States.  GE can build on this success by bringing new lighting production to the Warren and Ravenna facilities.  GE could enhance its Ohio lighting portfolio while also capitalizing on the great assets that Ohio workers have to offer.  The workers in Warren and Ravenna are second to none in quality, productivity and efficiency, and they have demonstrated time after time their commitment to the company.  I am confident that if given the opportunity, the Ohio workers could smoothly transition towards making the next generation of energy efficient lighting products.

I urge you to consider options that would bring new investment into the Ohio lighting plants instead of shutting their doors and sending hundreds of hardworking Ohioans to the unemployment line.  Please don't hesitate to contact me directly, as I stand ready to help GE bring new investment into Ohio and create jobs for hardworking Ohioans.   

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

Why?Town

[quote = Vindy Article]
The plant currently makes incandescent light bulbs, (the only plant in the country making them exclusively) which Congress has banned with the exception of specialty products.
[/quote]

congress banning these bulbs has nothing to do with fair trade agreements.

iwasthere

let us first embrace fair trade agreements with foriegn countries. gas has nothing to do with the ge plant closing.

Rick Rowlands

All the more reason to embrace the gas industry. 

Towntalk

Warren will see the GE Light plant close.

GE announces intent to close Ohio Lamp Plant

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/jan/26/ge-announces-intent-to-close-ohio-lamp-p/

179 jobs down the drain.