News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New Small Buses

Started by Towntalk, January 18, 2013, 09:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

I ride the Cornersburg in the morning, and Austintown in the evening.  Ridership has been unusually heavy for the last week, and I would guess there have been at least 20 people on the buses for those 9 trips. (I took a different bus Friday evening)  20+ people on the buses I ride isn't a regular occurrence, but it happens often enough that they shouldn't use any of the new smaller buses for those routes, on weekdays.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

irishbobcat

Good question....but when the day comes we need a 24 seat bus...I'll be glad we have them....

Why?Town

Serious question: How often are there more than 20 people on a WRTA bus at the same time?  I don't ride but I can see in the buses in the evening when they are lit up inside and sometimes in the day if the light is right and I've never seen more than half a dozen riders, tops.

northside lurker

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Its no wonder the Strickland administration had this state so deep in the hole. Free buses for everyone!!!

iwasthere

the buses are comfortable and spacious. these are the buses they should run on sat night and sundays.

Towntalk

WRTA is now using some cleaner, greener technology thanks to federal funding.

Three new 24-seater buses were just put into the rotation a couple of weeks ago, although they were approved in 2010 by former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland. Originally, WRTA was one of several transit systems to be approved for funding for three years afterward, which would have allowed it to get at least nine new buses.

But Ohio Gov. John Kasich eliminated the program shortly after taking office, so the transportation authority only ended up getting three.

"We're still looking at different grants. We're hoping over the next year to year and a half ambitiously to bring on about 16 to 18 full-size coaches and they'll be clean burning diesel also," said WRTA executive director Jim Ferraro.

Two of the buses already are running the Boardman and Canfield loops. Ferraro said he plans to try the third in Austintown, but there are also some lesser traveled routes out toward Struthers that could benefit from the use of a smaller bus.

"It's environmentally friendly but also they're brand new. Our other buses are obviously 12 years old, they're a little tired, a little more difficult to finely tune and continue to run without some mechanical problems. And just the inside of a new bus makes you feel better," Ferraro said.