News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

History Quiz

Started by Towntalk, December 01, 2007, 04:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

TIME FOR THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.

The name of the establishment was THE ARENA and it was located at 1347 WEST FEDERAL STREET.

Towntalk

The Rayen-Wood Auditorium was the Chevy Center of it's day ... sports events ... car shows ... political rallies ... Evangelistic Crusades and the like. Your Dad has a very good memory, but it's not the one I'm asking for.

In it's heyday, nationally broadcast professional boxing matches were held at the Rayen-Wood Auditorium. We had several top ranked Boxers here in those days, among them the Zill brothers, Tony and Jimmy. I had the good fortune to know Jimmy and he use to tell me about the excitement that those fights generated, and how the network people really hyped Youngstown because of the large crowds at the matches. There wasn't television in those days and people listened to the matches on radio. Jimmy said that the matches were always sell outs.

As for the auditorium that I'm thinking of, as I said it specialized in Ice Shows, and when there wasn't a show, folks could go ice skating there.

That isn't unusual, because there was a Roller Skating Rink on Oak Hill near Mahoning Avenue that use to bring in professional Roller Derby Shows, and occasionally would have boxing matches there. Boxing was big in Youngstown, real big, and just as popular as football.

Glenna

Just a  little bit before my time. I asked my dad and he mentioned some place called the Rayenwood. But, I know that is not the correct answer. He said the Rayenwood was on Rayen Ave by the old St. Joesph and the YWCA.
Not sure but I think he also mentioned something about the Rescue Mission. I wish I knew the answer.  ???

Towntalk

CLUE: It closed in the late 1940's.

CLUE: It was on West Federal beyond Belmont Avenue.

Towntalk

Besides it's many stores, theaters, restaurants, and services, downtown Youngstown also had sports arenas that featured professional boxing and wrestling, but it also had another unique feature ... an auditorium that featured professional ice skating shows year around.
Some of our older members may remember that place. Can you name it and provide it's location? (Yes I know both its name and address and will give it later.) (Also yes it was here in our lifetime.)