News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Senior Drivers

Started by jay, January 30, 2015, 08:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

LOL Towntalk... a couple of those ladies look like my Aunties...

Towntalk

ALLAN'S CHOIR

AllanY2525

I am in favor of an age limit - BUT with some flexibility.  People age at different rates, ie: their physical and mental
condition versus their chronological age.

My aunt Dorothy is almost 80, still mentally sharp and with good vision - and a very safe driver.   She only drives
her car for short, local trips (doesn't drive on the highways any more) to the grocery store, visiting some friends
and family, etc.  As such, I don't think she is a danger to herself or anyone else.  She still lives independently in
her own home, etc and so far she is quite able to take care of herself, with her kids and friends checking in on
her frequently.

I think it would be best to have annual or bi-annual driver evaluations after age 70 to unsure that the driver is
still physically and mentally fit to get behind the wheel.  This would include annual or bi-annual vision tests, etc.

Towntalk

Should there be an age limit after which a person can no longer own or drive a car? At what point should the states take away a person's right to drive?

http://seniordriving.aaa.com/resources-family-friends/conversations-about-driving/facts-research

Towntalk

Yes. That man was 97.. There is a thread that deals with this man.

jay

Another senior driver was killed in a traffic accident after driving left of center in Austintown.  Didn't another senior also cause a traffic fatality after driving off the road near McKelvey Lake a few weeks ago?