News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown city pools

Started by penguinnick, January 31, 2013, 11:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

the city pools would not had closed if the city leaders put qualified personnel in the parks and rec dept. the last p and r dir was a scumbag joe mcgree. the new director has park and rec management qualifications without having any ytown political ties.

jay

All the pools on other sides of town have been closed over the years.  The north side pool should also be closed especially if it is losing money to the degree listed in the article.

Rick Rowlands

Towntalk has it right.  If the pool cannot at least cover its costs shut it down or sell it off.   

irishbobcat

There have been problems at the North Side pool since the late 70's......nothing changes....calls to the various council folks over the years have fallen on deaf ears....

Towntalk

I totally agree with you. The North Side Pool should be turned over to a private company to operate with company hired employees, then the Parks Commission should step aside and let the company operate it as a business.

penguinnick

In a recent Vindicator article on the North Side Pool the following was stated: 
"It costs about $96,000 annually to run the pool, which makes less than $10,000 annually from admission fees of $1.50 for adults and $1 for children."

For years I've been saying that it's utterly ridiculous that they only charge the above rate. POOLS COST MONEY TO OPERATE! In Pittsburgh, where I live, city pools cost $3 for children ages 3 - 15 (yearly pass costs $15) and $4 for individuals 16 and older (yearly pass costs $30). A family pass for 4 costs $60. Youngstown should follow Pittsburgh.  Just because many of the pool users are "economically challenged" does not mean they should basically be given free passes.  Also, pools should be open from earlier June thru Labor Day.  My few times to a Youngstown city pool was horrible, as the inmates ran the assylum.  The lifeguards had no control.  In Pittsburgh city pools, at least the ones I go to, the lifeguards are in control and the facility is in good shape.