News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Pig Iron Press May Go

Started by Towntalk, February 18, 2013, 07:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Billy Mumphrey

I visited the Pig Iron Press fundraiser today. I had a chance to tour the whole building. It would be a shame for the local owner to lose this establishment.

Towntalk

Make no mistake about it, I like Jim, and he did a good job binding my manuscript at a very reasonable price, but there comes a time when he needs to sit back and look at relocating his business to smaller quarters. If he had an in house press and the gear that goes with it, I could see why he would need that much space, but he doesn't, so I would hope that he would look to smaller quarters.

Does the bulk of his business come from his copying service? If so, it would be to his advantage to relocate somewhere downtown, surely there is a place that would better serve his needs.

Sooner or later the folks holding the mortgage on his building are going to act to take it over and tell him to vacate, and then it will be too late, and I'd hate to see that happen.

jay

Billy Mumphrey

Fundraiser #2 for Pig Iron Press with Pig Iron Literary & Art Works, 26 North Phelps St. Friday, March 1, at Pig Iron, 4 to 10 pm. BEER AND WINE TASTING EVENT!
$20 covers your drink along with a variety of cheeses, savory beer pairings, live music and a Chinese auction. What a deal . . .and a chance to help Jim successfully jump his own fiscal cliff!!! Come one, come all!

Rick Rowlands

One of Jim's biggest problems is that he is evidently fearful of computers, and still does his publishing the old way.  I don't understand people who are fearful of tools, and a computer is just a tool.    Jim's sales volume is so small that it apparently doesn't justify the expense of operating a building.   ground floor space in downtown Youngstown is becoming scarce. Its time for Jim to move on and for that space to be put to more productive uses.

Towntalk

For my part, I am no expert on tax topics, and I won't pretend to be, but I do have questions ... [1] is Pig Iron Press generating positive or negative revenue overall? [2] Just how much money does Pig Iron Press generate from it's poetry reading sessions verses the utility costs and any other costs to the business? [3] How many books and other publications does Pig Iron Press publish and at what cost to the publisher? [4] How many are published in house verses outsourcing? [4] How many publications are sold in area bookstores? [5] How much effort is placed in marketing the books that are published via newspapers, and other media so that the public would know about the publication verses word of mouth?

Penguins37

The incentive is to pay your taxes so you don't loose your building.

Rick Rowlands

What incentive is there to pay property taxes? What do we get for the money?  About 3/4 of the tax goes to the school district, which is a complete failure in just about every way.  Just a pittance actually goes to the services that all property owners need such as police and road maintenance.   Property owners in Youngstown are being screwed.

One of the big impediments to the reuse of real estate in Youngstown is the fact that most properties have negative value to begin with due to tax liens.  Since the city has been redlined for gas drilling these properties do not even have the ability to pay their own way back into some productive use.

Youngstownshrimp

Jay, please stop spewing propaganda again.  You have no expertise nor background in tax certificates, I do and you are unqualified to make public and mislead.
This is the problem with Youngstown leaders coming from the ranks of the uneducated.  Everyone is an expert.

Penguins37

But if the property owner just pays their taxes ob time there is no way for the lien to be sold.

jay

Did anyone notice the Mahoning County Delinquent Land Tax Notice in the December 4, Youngstown newspaper?  It was a 16-page section.

When the county sells the tax liens to a Florida company, it just sets the property owner up for disaster.  The Florida company tacks on excessive fees and interest rates which accelerates the total tax debt.

I believe the current Mahoning County Treasurer Dan Yemma discontinued the sale of the tax liens to the Florida company.

iwasthere