News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Youngstown Mayoral Race

Started by stewie, January 13, 2013, 01:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: jay on January 16, 2013, 09:07:36 AM
A good candidate for mayor

Mr. Scott S. who served as vice-chair of the Charter Review Commission.

ss was clueless about the city charter and he still is clueless about the city's daily operations. ct never attends council meetings and he does speak well but he and ss are clueless about the everyday happenings in ytown. my vote would go to maggy lorenzi if she decides to run for mayor. she is the only one that has the knowledge of the city's charter and oh constitution regarding the ins and outs on laws that are state sanctioned and the city's ordinances that govern ytown.

jay

A good candidate for mayor

Mr. Scott S. who served as vice-chair of the Charter Review Commission.

jay

I feel a good candidate for President of Council would be Mr. Chris T. from the Brownlee Wood area.  He's well organized, a good speaker and is already involved in neighborhood groups and city-wide organizations.

stewie

Towntalk

I don't always play nice in the sandbox of public debate.

Youngstownshrimp

TT, such harshness against Stewie, not that you are incorrect about his lurking.
Nevertheless, Jay, name some individuals that are natural leaders and let's all follow with our own suggestions, I'll go first:
Jill Downie

Towntalk

And Stewie I certainly don't profess to have all the answers, but I don't need some upstart telling me that. Why don't you spend more time joining into the debates and less time lurking in the shadows, we might all benefit from your astute wisdom.

jay

I attended several neighborhood association meetings over the last few weeks.  At each meeting, I approached several potential candidates and asked them to run for one of the offices in Youngstown.  The usual response was that it was too hard to take on the machine of the major party.  Then the suggestion was made of running as an independent.  Bear in mind, an independent candidate would have to collect far more signatures to get on the ballot than the major party's candidate. 

This ballot access restriction is a major reason why good citizens won't run for office in Youngstown.  Non-partisan elections would be a way of solving this problem.  As a matter of fact, the non-partisan idea was one of the issues advanced by the Charter Review Commission.  As we all know, city council rejected the proposal and would not even allow it to go on the ballot.

northside lurker

LOL.  My complaints are fairly specific.  There are lots of other things in city government I don't know about.  As a virtual nobody, I wouldn't have the support I need, anyway.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

iwasthere

mmmmm stewie food for thought you opened a loaded suggestion. my suggestion we all should run for an office or join groups that want change for ytown including stewie. it is easier to run as a minor party member due to the fact minor parties need the same about of reg voters's signatures aka dem or rep. if one cannot run for office support inds that are of your same thoughts.

Towntalk

I can't speak for iwasthere or westsider, but at my advanced age, I'm afraid that I would find myself napping during council meetings and only having morning office hours as I take regular naps between 1:00 pm and 3:00 each and every day.  :laugh:

stewie

For years now I have been reading the posts of a number of forum members criticizing current and former mayors, councilmembers and administrators in City government.  These forum members are usually misinformed and are generally not very knowledgeble on the facts. However now is the time to step up! Feb 6 is the deadline to file for Mayor and Council President.  So cmon Towntalk, iwasthere, westsider, etc how about it?  You can run for office and implement your own ideals on how the city should operate. You guys have all of the answers now is the time!  Anyone? Anyone?  (insert cricket noises here)