News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Rocky Ridge Neighborhood Beautification Award - Wednesday, September 24

Started by jay, September 20, 2014, 06:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

jay

Also, two residents of Boardman and one resident of Austintown attended the meeting.

jay

The Rocky Ridge Neighborhood welcomed three new members.  Also, two new families moved into the neighborhood.

Towntalk

:'(  BooooHoooo  :'(  Poor poor me, I ain't seen hide nor hair of any of them there can-D-dates fer whatever they's a runnin fer, but then I've been busy with more serious matters down yonder if'in ya get the drift.

Peggy Gurney

We gave the then-candidate McNally an open-invite to all the group meetings on the north side.
He took us up on most of them, we were happy to have him.

~ Normal is overrated ~

jay

There will be other candidates' forums.  One will be on a Monday later this month.

Most candidates are hungry for places to speak.  When John McNally was running for office, he often showed up (uninvited) at meetings of a variety of small groups.

I have now seen candidate Robert Rusu (and his purple shirt gang) at six events in the last month.

Peggy Gurney

I spoke with Chris Travers last night (one of the organizers.  He said that the conflicting date was unavoidable.
This was the only date that these invited candidates could all be there.
So they DO check with the candidates for availability.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

I guess that for my part I "might" have been just a little too critical of Jay for his observations about two conflicting events  ;D , and for this I am humbly sorry  :laugh: . I know that there have been occassions when I was confronted by situations such as this. On one occassion I was assigned the task of organizing a public forum on of all things death and dying. I contacted our state Senitor and Representative, booked a room at YSU, arranged for newspaper coverage and had my heart set on being seated at the head table with Harry Meshel. It was going to be a grand evening so far as I was concerned, but then a nasty fly landed smack dab in the middle of the ointment, and my boss told me that I had to work the night of the gathering  :'( . Result? Not even so much as a mention of all my hard work in the write up the next day.  :'(  Poor poor pityful little old me ... that I was heart broken would be an understatement. That trama scared me for life.  :(  So Jay, from the very depths of my immortal soul, I'm truely sorry if I caused you the least degree of anguish.

cc4

If anyone had talked to the organizers of the event, they would learn the forum was originally scheduled

for  September 18, the regular meeting day for the 7th ward group.  The date had to be changed when

it was discovered the park venue had already been booked for that day.  I don't believe that groups check

on the availability of the politicians to plan their events.  I think the candidates make themselves available

or send a representative if they are not.  I doubt the planning committee even knew or considered  when the

Rocky Ridge group met as they were just satisfied to have an open day at that popular location.  I  wish I

could be at both events and consider it unfortunate that as Jay pointed out, another day wasn't

chosen by the organizers.  Oh well, there  will be other forums on other sides of town where I'll have a

chance to meet the candidates! 

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: jay on September 20, 2014, 08:42:34 PM
Monthly meeting dates

Third Thursday of the month - Seventh Ward Citizens Coalition

Second Tuesday of the month - West Side Citizens' Coalition

Last Wednesday of the month - Rocky Ridge Neighborhood Association

If the SWCC and WSCC couldn't hold this meeting on one of their regular meeting dates, they had seven other Wednesday in September and October to hold the event. (3 other Wednesdays in September and 4 other Wednesday in October)

Jay, How do you know that this political forum wasn't scheduled before the RR awards event?

This political forum is held for the entire city of Youngstown, and hosted by the 7WCC and the WSCC.
Further, it must be held on a date where ALL of the candidates, or as many as possible, can attend.
The fact that it happened to fall on the same date as the RR event is, indeed, unfortunate.

Now, I don't know for a fact, but have a very STRONG feeling that, if the RR leaders were hosting the political forum, they would not have been trying to schedule it around other group's meetings.
You can pretty much bet your sweet bippy on that one.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

PD, Jay believed that the 7th ward are infringing on the 4th ward ... forget the facts that you and Peggy have pointed out. They don't count.

PD

Jay don't forget. The wscc meetings will be every other month starting 2015.
Certain people want to make sure the meetings are meaningful and have purpose
The wscc doesnt want to just have monthly meetings to have a meeting
People want it to be beneficial

jay

Monthly meeting dates

Third Thursday of the month - Seventh Ward Citizens Coalition

Second Tuesday of the month - West Side Citizens' Coalition

Last Wednesday of the month - Rocky Ridge Neighborhood Association

If the SWCC and WSCC couldn't hold this meeting on one of their regular meeting dates, they had seven other Wednesday in September and October to hold the event. (3 other Wednesdays in September and 4 other Wednesday in October)

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: jay on September 20, 2014, 05:48:55 PM
I've been under the impression that the Seventh Ward Citizens group held its meetings on Thursdays and at a location in the seventh ward.  This is an example for poor planning.

This is a special political forum, which the 7WCC holds at the Davis Center every time there is an upcoming election. It's completely separate and apart from their monthly meeting which is held at Fath Covenant church on Midlothian Blvd. 
The date and time were chosen months ago.

I was told about this forum somewhere around 3 weeks ago, but am unable to attend.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Why can't RR make it's award and then dissolve into the WECC and SWCC Joint meeting. How many hours will it take to present the award ... will this ceremony be as long as the Academy Awards; Emmy or Grammy Awards ceremony (3 hours)? I've never been to one of those do's so I don't know what all is involved but bless your heart my friend, maby you can get the WSCC and SWCC to cancel their meeting until a later date ... say November 10th.
Come to think about it though Jay you are absolutely right nothing is more important than this awards ceremony ... and every other group has absolutely no right to do anything to interfere with this awards ceremony. The very future of Youngstown not withstanding, this RR event is the most important event of the season. Just think of the harm it would be to the psyche of the award winners. Shame on the WSCC and SWCC.

jay

The WSCC usually meets on a Tuesday.  Both the WSCC and SWCC chose to pick a meeting night that conflicted with the RRNA.  If not poor planning, then it is a lack of respect.