News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Replace Mayor With City Manager says Mayor!!!!"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, April 04, 2011, 06:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on March 26, 2013, 09:35:36 PM
The CM is hired and is accountable and liable, not appointed like many in City hall.
this ind is hired or appt by council and i still do not see any good coming out of it.

Youngstownshrimp

The CM is hired and is accountable and liable, not appointed like many in City hall.

iwasthere

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on March 25, 2013, 09:59:35 AM
Very thorough TT, very thorough.
i am not convince to have a cm due to the fact it is an appt job..

Youngstownshrimp

Towntalk

A city manager is an official appointed as the administrative manager of a city, in a council-manager form of city government. Local officials serving in this position are sometimes referred to as the chief executive officer (CEO) or chief administrative officer (CAO) in some municipalities. However, in a technical sense, the term "city manager," as opposed to CAO, implies more discretion and independent authority that is set forth in a charter or some other body of codified law, as opposed to duties being assigned on a varying basis by a single superior such as a mayor.
As the top appointed official in the city, the city manager is typically responsible for most if not all of the day-to-day administrative operations of the municipality, in addition to other expectations.
Some of the basic roles, responsibilities, and powers of a city manager include:

• Supervision of day-to-day operations of all city departments and staff, directly and through department heads;
  • Oversight of all hiring, firing, disciplining and suspensions;
  • Preparation, monitoring, and execution of the city budget, which includes submitting each year to the council a proposed budget package with options and recommendations for its consideration and possible approval;
  • Main technical advisor to the council on overall governmental operations;
  • Public relations, such as meeting with citizens, citizen groups, businesses, and other stakeholders (the presence of a mayor may alter this function somewhat);
  • Operating the city with a professional understanding of how all city functions operate together to their best effect;
  • Attends all council meetings, but does not have any voting rights
  • Additional duties that may be assigned by the council
The responsibilities may vary depending upon charter provisions and other local or state laws, rules, and regulations. In addition, many states, such as the states of New Hampshire and Missouri, have codified in law the minimum functions a local "manager" must perform.
Manager members of the ICMA are bound by a rather rigid and strongly enforced code of ethics that was originally established in 1924. Since that time the code had been up-dated/revised on seven occasions, the latest taking place in 1998. The updates have taken into account the evolving duties, responsibilities, and expectations of the profession; however the core dictate of the body of the code--"to integrity; public service; seek no favor; exemplary conduct in both personal and professional matters; respect the role and contributions of elected officials; exercise the independence to do what is right; political neutrality; serve the public equitably and governing body members equally; keep the community informed about local government matters; and support and lead our employ-ees"—have not changed since the first edition.

iwasthere

who will appt the city manager? will this be put forth for the ytown residents for a vote? when will this happen? are there safeguards in place to remove this individual for their incompetent performance? these are a few questions that must be answered.

Youngstownshrimp

I wrote about this over year ago and I guess again I was ahead of my time.
It seems that Phil Kidd and other downtown activist are throwing this concept out today.  It must be because of frustration with the continuing non leadership revolving around our municipality.
We and they need to push this issue with all their might!

Youngstownshrimp

We don't want to change City council, we want to abolish what City council has become.  A job source for the inept who cannot find employment anywhere else.  Seriously, majority of council have no history of productivity whatsoever.  No, the only way to remove the entitled ruling class is the good old American way of bankrupting the City.  In order to rebuild, we need to tear down, "burning down the house!"

jay

I can predict the winners of the fall election for wards 1, 2, 3, 6, 7.

If you want to change city council, new people have to run for office within the democratic party or there has to be viable candidates from an alternative party.

Youngstownshrimp

Hopefully by the time we abolish the Mayoralship, we may have thrown most of the bums in council out too.

stewie

So this City Manager would be appointed by Council?  Yeah I don't think giving Council more power is the answer.

Youngstownshrimp

In a meeting last night , I mentioned this development to a reputable probate Atty. and he said this conversion to a City Manager will take years.  I said not if we continue to:

"Defund Youngstown"

irishbobcat

Seems many cities with City Managers fail as well.......

but hey, Shrimp loves to continue to look out through his rose colored neo-con glasses.....

Youngstownshrimp

I cannot believe what I just read, WFMJ is just reporting that Mayor Williams has publicly said the City should be downsized.  Unbelievable, he says the City does not need three judges, seven councilmen, etc.  Now the Mayor is talking and he has respect from me for saying this publicly. 

Now, we all need to push this goal by the Mayor thru.  A City manager can be the answer for Youngstown and most operate as a business.  The MVOC and other entities if they really care for Youngstown needs to grab this idea by the horns.  I'm glad all this outcry here among us freedom lovers is finally tearing down the walls.