News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Airport Seeks More Money From Youngstown

Started by jay, April 02, 2014, 09:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowner

Quote from: jay on May 06, 2014, 06:19:52 PM
United will not be coming to Youngstown.

The airline company wanted four times more money than what our local airport was offering to start service here.

United is being very hypocritical with the revenue guarantee requirement. I.E. Topeka, KS only needed $1.8 million to get 2 daily flights on United to O'Hare. They have no other airline service. We are closer, have over 100,000 in passengers, and they want $3-4 million. What a joke.

Just plain lack of respect for the economic resurgence of our community.

jay

United will not be coming to Youngstown.

The airline company wanted four times more money than what our local airport was offering to start service here.

Youngstownshrimp

Sorry about the "testy" bit, I read too much into your response.  In any event, let's help the airport.  I believe the airport acreage has not realized what it's potential should be, namely because things are still new up there in the life of this Utica play.  There is a lot going on with this play that I cannot write about yet, but i will speak to Atty. Floyd when I see him and mention to your group that I continue to offer any services that I can to help the airport.

ytowner

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on April 20, 2014, 09:17:29 PM
You sound a little testy. 
"trying?"   why hasn't a deal been struck yet, is the acreage "HBP?"  This is public land so lets start breaking out the facts for the public.  You want mo money, spit out the facts.  Explain how they are WAY ahead in marketing minerals?
BTW, may we know your true identity here since we are discussing "public property?"
Not testy at all, just stating what I know or have seen reported in the news.

Here is some information:
http://tribune-chronicle.com/page/content.detail/id/592276/Wed--3-28pm--Pipeline-proposed-for-airport-property.html?nav=5192

www.vindy.com/news/2013/aug/29/port-authority-oks-bond-sale-for-new-mai/

Insofar as the drilling rights, I haven't heard much in the way of that since I have been unable to make it up to the airport the last few months. If you dig a bit on google, I'm sure you can spot Vindy, Trib, or Bus Journal articles on the port meetings discussing such talks. And we've talked before Ron. Your buddy Litwinowitz (pardon spelling) came to one of the meetings up at YNG to discuss shale. Nice guy and was very knowledgeable.

Youngstownshrimp

You sound a little testy. 
"trying?"   why hasn't a deal been struck yet, is the acreage "HBP?"  This is public land so lets start breaking out the facts for the public.  You want mo money, spit out the facts.  Explain how they are WAY ahead in marketing minerals?
BTW, may we know your true identity here since we are discussing "public property?"

ytowner

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on April 20, 2014, 12:37:10 PM
Okay, getting the picture a little.  So as a highway or road on the Eastside of Youngstown, if depopulation and lack of usage, the road should be closed? 
Maybe I can help as I tried to do several years ago.  How much acreage does the airport have?  The Pittsburg airport if I can remember just made a deal with CONSOL energy to lease and drill, I understand it was a very significant economic package.  I know Atty. Jim Floyd very well and he is one of the new leaders there isn't he?  He is very capable in making economic sense of the entity.  Who right now and is the individual in place, adept at confronting the mineral asset of the airport acreage?
I can assure you, they are WAY ahead of you in terms of trying to strike a deal of their 1000+ acres for a mineral lease.

Youngstownshrimp

Okay, getting the picture a little.  So as a highway or road on the Eastside of Youngstown, if depopulation and lack of usage, the road should be closed? 
Maybe I can help as I tried to do several years ago.  How much acreage does the airport have?  The Pittsburg airport if I can remember just made a deal with CONSOL energy to lease and drill, I understand it was a very significant economic package.  I know Atty. Jim Floyd very well and he is one of the new leaders there isn't he?  He is very capable in making economic sense of the entity.  Who right now and is the individual in place, adept at confronting the mineral asset of the airport acreage?

ytowner

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on April 20, 2014, 08:34:47 AM

Maybe this is the question I should ask to simplify it for me, the layperson.
Are all airports subsidized in the USA?
Very few are privatized. Airports=Infrastructure=Government's main responsibility.

Youngstownshrimp

Maybe this is the question I should ask to simplify it for me, the layperson.
Are all airports subsidized in the USA?

ytowner

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on April 18, 2014, 07:02:47 PM
Why can't the airport fund itself?
The funding of the Airport and this endeavor to land United do not go hand and hand. Between parking, landing fees, terminal and hangar leases, as well as the bed tax funding from the two counties, the day-to-day operations of the port authority are in relatively strong shape. As such, the port had pledged $420,000 of bed tax funding to fund the local portion of a $780,000 federal SCASD grant awarded to YNG two years ago. The $780,000 plus $420,000 local match provide for a $1.2 million dollar revenue guarantee for United. However, that alone will not be enough to bring United to YNG. Additional funding is needed to make United's decision to come here a bit easier.

The Cafaro Foundation has chipped in $100,000, the City of Warren has added $30,000, while numerous other businesses have added smaller amounts.

It takes a community effort to bring in major carriers. The airport's operating budget alone does not have the resources to provide a $1.7 million dollar revenue guarantee for United. They were able to chip in $420,000, but can ill-afford to add anymore to the pot. Hence, the call on local businesses and governments to join the effort as well.

Youngstownshrimp

ytowner

Ask away folks... I am still heavily involved out there.

Youngstownshrimp

We need to hear from out Airport members here, and we need them to explain, discuss?

Towntalk

Don't forget that United closed it's hub at Cleveland Hopkins Airport in an economy move, and I don't think that it services Akron/Canton airport so it seems to me that people who fly United would have to come here to catch a flight just as we have had to drive to Cleveland or Pittsburgh to connect with an airline in the past, so logic would suggest that there would be a bigger demand for reservations, and that would come down to marketing the airport both on TV and in newspapers throughout North East Ohio.
Also it must be remembered that at one time the city of Youngstown owned 100% of the airport, and we would only shoot ouselved in the foot economically by not chipping in the $48,000.00 or so now.
[NOTE: There will still be flights out of Cleveland, but not a many. UA officials said that the Cleveland hub was running in the red for too long.]

jay

A news story today stated that Youngstown's fair share would be $48,000.