News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Stores Closing

Started by Towntalk, April 16, 2015, 06:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peggy Gurney

Yeah I get my shoes at KMart. I can never find anything I like at walmart anymore.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

The other week I needed a new pair of shoes ... NONE had my size ... Bob took me to Walmart in Liberty ... one of the salesmen not only helped me find my size, but he had me try them on to make sure they fit. Oh, and the price, they were half the price I paid at the regular shoe store in the Liberty Plaza the last time I shopped for shoes, and of a higher quality. Five Star service at Walmart.

Peggy Gurney

Let's see,.... a shoe store opened in 2014 - or was that 2013?  There is also a beauty shop downtown, if memory serves me correctly.  And a movie theater is in the works.

The entertainment district comes alive after 5 pm. There is plenty of business to be had before 5 pm,  downtown.  Look at Downtown Circle. Very successful.

If the city intends to continue the residential development of downtown, they will absolutely have to draw in a grocery store, a bakery, and at least one family-friendly restaurant.
A hardware store is less than 2 miles away on Mahoning Avenue. No need to have one downtown.

I do agree with you though TT, I do not like having to go to Boardman and Liberty to shop for clothing either.  But clothing stores are typically much more expensive than the box stores, so even if one did open downtown, I'd still probably go to the suburbs unless said store could match their prices.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

When was the last time that a brand new shoe store; clothing store; hardware store; beauty shop; variety store; drug store; bakery; sporting goods store; located downtown? As one of the businessmen who is closing said, downtown Youngstown doesn't come alive till after 5:00 PM. My little hometown of 9000 has a larger central business district for retail trade than Youngstown, heck it even has a first run movie theater and that is a sad commentary. With all the people that work downtown, you'd think that there would be more stores with a wide variety of goods for sale, but all that we can draw are more restaurants. It gauls me all to pieces that if I need to shop for clothing etc., I have to go to Boardman or Liberty.

cc4

Although my purchases cannot keep these owners from retiring, I was a faithful customer of

Jerry Lee's and will miss their presence in downtown Youngstown.  Their store is always clean;

their merchandise is beautiful and varied, and the staff is pleasant and always helpful.  The first

spot I always checked out was the 50% off section.  I have taken my relatives in there to see what

is offered and am happy to say they began purchasing items there for various occasions.

Have you been downtown lately to see that it is not as described in the previous post?

Towntalk

Face the fact that no business man or woman wants to waste their time or money in opening a retail business in downtown Youngstown, or for that part and other part of this maggot infested city, so like it or not you are going to be forced to do all your shopping in Boardman, Austintown, or Liberty.