News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Music Question

Started by Towntalk, April 15, 2015, 06:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

When my Mother was doing her radio show back home, they would hang the mike over an open Baby Grand Piano and sit in front of it with the lid up and talk, and by stepping on one of the three peddles acheve some amazing effects.

Peggy Gurney

Louie Free uses microphones similar to these in his radio studio at the Vindicator.
~ Normal is overrated ~

AllanY2525

They used to have good microphones like this in the studio at WFMJ, in the
dj booth.

Towntalk

From a technical standpoint:
Allan, maby you'll appreciate this more than most, but many recording studios are using older style microphones in their recording sessions because of the quality of the sound that they reproduce verses the mikes that are available today. RCA built a series of mikes that were superior to all others, and today there is a company out in California that is building mikes that are based in every way on those older RCA mikes.
Most of the studio mikes they make today require that the user shoves them so close to their mouths that if you listen hard enough you can hear them breathing, where with mikes such as those illistrated, the sounds are warmer, and the user stands away from the mike at least a foot.
By the way, the mike illistrated costs $4000.00.
Oh, and by the way, singers can't stand there, shove these mikes up to their face and scream into them. The first time they did, they would damage the mike's ribbon.

AllanY2525

Vinyl records have a more natural sound, and more accurately reproduce the
music as far as frequency rages versus MP3 digital files.  MP3 compresses the
digital audio files, which causes some loss of audio quality.  The same
applies to Apple's compression scheme (".AAC" FILES)

There's an audio format called FLAC that doesn't use compression but the
files are ten times larger than MP3s.

A lot of the serious audiophiles out there are into vinyl records still, and
many prefer old style stereo equipment with vacuum tubes to modern,
digital equipment.  I've had more than one music fanatic tell me they sound
warmer and more natural.

I like the sound of the old vinyls but storage takes up tons of space and they
have to be taken care of, kept in the right environment, etc.  My hearing, like
all older adults, has lost some of its range in the high frequency (this happens
right around 30 years of age for most people) so I don't mind the lossy audio
quality of MP3  and AAC files.

I have a friend who is a DJ - he has over 6 thousand vinyl records in his
library.  They fill up two whole rooms in his house and he has dust and
climate controls that rival those of the Smithsonian museum....(just kidding)

:)

Towntalk

200Vinyl 33 1/3 albums have been making a comeback over the last several years and the number of music stores that sell records and DVD's is growing which leads me to ask this question -- Would you build up a collection of vinyl records?
1. Do you now have a collection of vinyl records?
2. What is your opinion of vinyl vs. DVD?
For my part, I must admit that all of my music library is digital, and at this point in time I would not invest in vinyl, but before I sold my vinyl collection several years ago I had 200 albums. My collection consisted of classical; Movie/Broadway; and Easy Listening.