News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Youngstown's Eastside Rural Lands offered for Veteran Farming"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, March 18, 2015, 11:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Youngstownshrimp

A few few years ago crash studies were undertaken by Veteran think tanks with the focus of what purpose, what vocation would be best suited for returning Veterans, much more returning combat Veterans?  The results are causing a firestorm across the country, local Veteran affairs and Farm service agencies are in place as they are all across America.  A new 50 State coalition called the Veteran Farming Coalition is also in place to train and direct funding to troops of Veterans.....farming troops.  The only missing part of the plan...........affordable land.

This morning, I was  in a teleconference with the new Military Veteran Agriculture Liaison, the Undersecretary of the USDA, Youngstown's and Campbell's fallow dormant land is on their radar.  Significant acreage in these cities will soon be offered/donated to Veterans who complete the farm training course at the VFC's designated training farm in Columbiana.  Initial funding will be awarded per Veteran to equip them as they make these abandoned land productive.  All Veterans can take advantage of this vocation and benefit.

I look back over five years ago as I netted the first prawn out of the water on my experimental shrimp farm.  All I knew was that I wanted to make the forsaken land productive.  I always knew there was a reason for the hard work and investment, I did not know then that it may have to do with me being a Veteran and .......the son of a retired Green Beret.