News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Hotel Antler

Started by sfc_oliver, December 13, 2007, 03:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Quote from: jay on December 15, 2007, 09:31:02 AM
The Salow Building on North Phelps Street now contains The Old Precinct Restaurant on the first floor.
Jay this is not the original Salow Hotel building. That hotel burnt to the ground. I'll see if I can find the Vindy article about that fire.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=XCpKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=9oUMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4044%2C3856776

northside lurker

Yes, thanks for posting.

I was certainly wrong about what the title of the poem insinuated.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Thanks for taking the time to post the poem.

sfc_oliver

well I have tried to get this post card and buisness card into a format small enough to post but no luck.
But I'll take the time and type out this poem. It is not signed but you can tell its olde, And not too bad.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU SAY

In speaking of a persons faults,
     Pray don't forget your own;
Remember those with homes of glass
      Should seldom throw a stone;
If we have nothing else to do
     But talk of those that sin'
Tis better we commence at home, and from that point begin.

We have no right to judge a man
     Until he's fairly tried,
Should we not like his company
     We know the world is wide:
Some may have faults---and whohas not'
     The old as well as young---
Perhaps we may, for aught we know,
     Have fifty to their one.

I'll tell you of a better plan,
     And find it works quite well;
To try my own defects to cure
     Before of others tell;
And though I sometimes hope to be
     No more than some I know,
My own short commings bid me let
     The faults of others go.

Then let us all when we commence
     To slander friend or foe,
Think of the harm one owrd would do,
     To those we little know,
Remember cursessometimes, like
     Our chickens, "roost at home;"
Don't speak of others' faults until
     We have none of our own.

<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

EARLY DOWNTOWN YOUNGSTOWN HOTELS

Sanborn Fire Insurance Map -  1896 - 1907

Erie Hotel ?
Colonial Hotel ?
Hotel Sherman – Hazel and W. Federal
Hotel Iroquois ?
Tod Hotel – Central Square
Salow Hotel (See Central Hotel)
Wick Hotel
Hotel Majestic ?
Hotel Reed ?
Hotel Savoy ?
Hotel Scanlon ?
Hotel Anderson – Spring Common and W. Federal
Hotel Loftus –  270 West Federal
Central Hotel – 40 N. Hazel
Park Hotel – Central Square
Morgan Hotel – 38 S. Champion
Commercial Hotel – 108 Wick Avenue
Hotel Stag – N. Phelps beside railroad tracks
Hotel Radcliff – Wick and Commerce
Phoenix House Hotel – South Hazel and Boardman

Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps - 1928

Hotel Youngstown – West Boardman Street at S. Chestnut
Hotel Ohio – West Boardman and Hazel
Tod Hotel  - Central Square
Unnamed Hotel – 29–31 North Walnut Street
Unnamed Hotel – 30 East Front Street
Unnamed Hotel – 30–33 South Champion Street
Unnamed Hotel – 387-391 East Federal Street
Unnamed Hotel – 24 Basin Street
Unnamed Hotel – 309-311 East Boardman Street

jay

The Salow Building on North Phelps Street now contains The Old Precinct Restaurant on the first floor.

Towntalk

Other old time Hotels were

The Park Hotel located on the site of the present Stambaugh Building.

Hotel Wick located on the site of the present Chase Bank Building

Hotel Radcliff located at the site of the current Bankruptcy Court

Commerce Hotel located on the corner of Wick and Wood Street across from the old Mahoning County Court House

As to the Hotel Salow, it was far from being a "small hotel". It possessed according to old newspaper accounts several dining rooms and a barber shop and was considered a first class hotel of the day, and its owner was a well known local personality in the hotel business.

There was also The American Hotel located on West Federal near the present DeYor.

Towntalk

The "Red Light District" was also known as "The Tenderloin" and "The Grinder District" and referred to East Boardman and East Front Streets.

The early Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps locate a number of "hotels" on the East End that have no names associated with them, most of which are located between Walnut Street and Basin Street along the south side of East Federal. These "hotels" were usually located on the upper floors, with stores on the ground floor, and they catered to men working in the mills.

Early newspaper accounts say that many of them rented out beds as opposed to hotel rooms, and three men would share each bed. While one man would be at work, a second man would sleep for  few hours, then turn it over to the third man.

Many of the old homes on East Federal, East Front and Dawd's Alley became houses of prostitution, one of the most "famous" run by Sadie Allen, and another by Lillie Thompson.

These houses were protected by the beat cop who got a cut of the take, and at the time, the city had the rule that so long as the ladies stayed on the East End they would not be bothered, but if they were to venture onto Central Square or West Federal, they would be arrested.

Another "Red Light District" was located along West Commerce Street.

In a Vindicator article of the early 1900's it describes the ladies along West Commerce sitting in doorways with precious little on "flashing" prospective customers.

By the mid 1930's and early 1940's most of the houses were gone.

Another old Vindicator article describes Sadie and her girls coming down to the police station once a month to pay off the police then going back to work.

jay

I've heard older folks claim that the east end of town was the location of a red light district.  I'm not sure exactly where though.

northside lurker

At work, I've been told that the eastern part of downtown was typically the seedier part.  (which is why there are so few historic structures there now)  The title of the poem on the business card you found seems to confirm this.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Please post the poem.

I checked a 1915 City Directory for the Hotel Antler's listing.  There were also several other small hotels listed.

Hotel Grand
26 E. Federal

Hotel Ohio
W. Boardman at Hazel

Hotel Price
112 E. Boardman Street

Hotel Raymond
3137 W. Federal    (the street number might be wrong)

Hotel Salow
30-42 N. Phelps

Hotel Skelly
17-27 S. Champion

Hotel York
272 W. Federal

sfc_oliver

I know nothing about this place but I have come across an old Buisness card.

BELL PHONE 3327                                                JACOB YUKSHAIT, Prop
OHIO STATE 6355                                                JOHN MITCHELL,  Mgr

H O T E L  A N T L E R
                       special weekly rates on rooms
             FAMILY LIQUOR STORE & BAR IN CONNECTION

Nos. 262, 264, and 266
East Federal Street                                                 YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO

Thats as close as I can come to reproducing it here. There is a poem printed on the back entiltled " Be careful What You Say" And the words   1 X RM hand writen in pencil If anyone is interested I will attempt to post it or at least type out the poem.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>