News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Cardinal Mooney High School May Move From The South Side

Started by jay, July 13, 2012, 05:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

Being that it's a private school....the good fathers will decide based on the merit of funding.....if there is more money to be made by moving..the school will move...and vice versa....

Towntalk

Still in the news: Via WKBN-TV

Cardinal Mooney Considers Move to Suburbs
     http://www.wkbn.com/content/news/local/story/Cardinal-Mooney-Considers-Move-to-Suburbs/Bh95PTrP6k-FJKx7ULuiGw.cspx

By the way, where were some folks when the city school system closed a number of city schools such as Rayen?

sfc_oliver

Every School I attended in Youngstown has been closed.... Maybe they are trying to tell me something....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

The topic was Mooney moving and not the race for mayor of which there are a couple of threads that cover the race for mayor.

That is what the difference is.

jay

What difference does it make?

I've heard that a south side councilman wants to run for Mayor of Youngstown.  If the person can't control crime and urban flight from his ward, what chance does the same person have of improving the conditions of the entire city?

Towntalk

PossablyJay might be thinking that the city councilperson can change the Bishop's mind, but that does not change the fact that there are not enough students in Youngstown to continue to support two high schools, and at this point the largest paying student group at Mooney lives outside Youngstown so it is in the best interest of the Church to move Mooney closer to the student body than to keep it in the city.

The city school system went through the same problem and closed three of its high schools.

sfc_oliver

Quote from: jay on December 29, 2012, 08:19:43 PM
Isn't Cardinal Mooney located in the sixth ward of Youngstown?

Not sure if it's 6th or 7th....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

jay

Isn't Cardinal Mooney located in the sixth ward of Youngstown?

Towntalk

Aside from Mooney's current location, here are some facts that many are ignoring. Many of the Catholic schools are now closed due to declining enrollment. The Catholic population is down hence the closing of a number of churches, and the remaining population are having a hard time maintaining support of their churches and can no longer support offering scolarships to non-Catholic students in order to maintain a viable student population.

With the decreased population,the time will come when the remaining Catholic High School will face the possability of closing.

The largest segment of the city's Catholic population is senior citizens followed by poverty level families that have no other option than to sent their children to public schools.

These are facts, as hard as they maybe to take, and there is no getting around it.

irishbobcat

Youngstownshrimp

Towntalk

It never did make sense having two Catholic High Schools in Youngstown, and as to the location its at now, I agree that its simply not safe, and from the looks of things, it won't get any better anytime soon.

irishbobcat

I'm not....moving south into the burgs or into the country will help them attract more students. Parents who still fear
sending their children into Youngstown will now be more likely to make the move if the school moves out of Youngstown.....
Moving south towards Canfield is a strategic move....move where the population is.....

iwasthere